Monday, December 27, 2010

Wikileaks - Part 2

A few people responded to my previous Wikileaks article portraiting Mr. Assange as a brave, honest advocate for freedom of information and a whistle blower, who's been unselfishly uncovering evildoers among the elite and powerful ones. Sure. Possibly, he's also a compassionate family man and a cat-lover. No wonder Michael Moore likes him so much. However, it is not my place to judge him or his motives, yet once again, as for his latest adventure with the embassy cables, I cannot call it anything less than outrageously impertinent, if not downright criminal. Of course, if you arm yourself with the convincing arguments, you might be able to justify a murder, but no matter what, you still can't make it right. The Wikileaks fans suffer with disillusion, they do the right thing for the right reasons, but in fact, they don't even do the wrong thing for the right reasons - it is simply all wrong on all levels. They need to wrap their heads around the fact, that IT'S NOT OK to take anything they like, just because IT'S THERE. But I realize, that's probably too much to expect from this selfish instant and easy gratification generation.



The private correspondence is private because it is exchanged confidentially between close group of two or more people and no one uninvited into the conversation has any right to read it, hear it, and far from sharing it with public. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that I send you an e-mail, where I offer you my opinion on our mutual acquaintance Mr. H. and I add some unflattering remarks on his account. (And by the way, many of these cables reportedly contain exactly this - embarrassing or insulting remarks about some third party person). At some point, you might decide to post my message (that was intended for your eyes only) on your Facebook Wall and make it accessible by everyone. And you know, it is only a matter of time, before Mr. H., about whom I have spoken unkindly, get chance to read it. Now, let's examine, what you have actually achieved by taking this action:



1. You managed to upset and disappoint me, perhaps so much, I will never trust you again.

2. You've hurt and embarrassed Mr. H., who would from now on dislike and distrust you (and me), and might even think or actually proceed with some sort of retaliation.

3. You certainly won't gain any respect for yourself among your Facebook social circle, because everyone will be very cautious to take you (and me) into their confidence.




I believe, this is a classic lose-lose scenario and making public some mocking comments by one diplomatic figure on another will accomplish nothing, except of needless awkwardness, embarasement, shame and mutual tention.



Milo.

No comments: