Saturday, April 11, 2009

My St. Patty's Grievance

When about 333rd person has casually greeted me with "Happy St. Patrick's Day" on March 17th, a cup of my patience runneth over and I replied: "What makes you think I celebrate St. Patrick's Day? Do I look like a f...ing Irish? Or you just simply assume, that EVERYBODY has to care about this silly Irish national excuse to dress like a clown and get hammered?"

 
Don't take me wrong: I have nothing against Ireland and the Irish folks don't annoy me more or less than Swedes or Bora-Borans, for example. As the matter of fact, I praise Irish for some of the finest contributions to the universal welfare and happiness: Irish Whiskey, Irish Cream, Irish Setter, just to name a few. I can also appreciate an Irish music, even though, an idea of listening to their drinking songs more then once or twice a year sounds rather painful.

 
So...there's the bottom line: Everyone's entitled to celebrate whatever, whenever one likes, and should such an occasion incorporate a ritual of getting soaked in green beer... I have no beef with that. But - next year on March 17th, please, don't expect me to wear a green hat and don't bother to mail me a St. Patty's Greeting Card!

 
PS: On the same note: first person who will address me: "'Kung Hei Fat Choi" during the next year Chinese New Year festivities receives a kick in his (or her) nuts! Because, really - I may be mistaken for Irish, but Chinese? C'mon! Not even wit your both eyes closed...

No comments: